Book Review Request: Awoken by Sarah Noffke (The Lucidites, #1)

TITLE: Awoken
SERIES: The Lucidites, #1
AUTHOR: Sarah Noffke
GENRE: Young Adult, Time Travel, Science Fiction
RELEASE DATE: 21st November 2014
RATING:
WHERE TO BUY: Amazon | B&N
BOOK BLURB:
Around the world humans are hallucinating after sleepless nights.

In a sterile, underground institute the forecasters keep reporting the same events.

And in the backwoods of Texas, a sixteen-year-old girl is about to be caught up in a fierce, ethereal battle.

Meet Roya Stark. She drowns every night in her dreams, spends her hours reading classic literature to avoid her family’s ridicule, and is prone to premonitions—which are becoming more frequent. And now her dreams are filled with strangers offering to reveal what she has always wanted to know: Who is she? That’s the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out. But will Roya live to regret learning the truth?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23505867-awoken
REVIEW

First of all, thank you to Sarah, for the copy of her book. :) Thank you for taking your time into messaging me. I do apologize it taken me this long to finish the book though. Real life does sucks. LOL.

When I read the blurb (yes, I did read it!), I was left intrigued with it. Dreams are, in my opinion, a wide subject. But what made me read it was how will the author, Sarah, write about Dreams. Specifically, Dream Travel.

When I started reading it, I was a bit shocked. Shocked because it didn't start in a conventional way. I even doubted the book that maybe it was not book 1. Why? Because it started in the middle. It was right into the plot. Normally, first chapters are all about introduction. I'm not sure if I liked how it was done. But I still read it because I wanted to know what will happen. Although, I must say it's not the type of book that I'm so eager to read that I need to read it continuously.

I have a bit of an issue with the use of exclamation point. I feel that it's a bit excessive? And redundant. But maybe that's just me.

I still have questions even after reading it. Like, do they teleport their bodies or something? I don't know how the machine works. It was explained but like it was vague. Or it's just my brain not catching up? LOL. I still stand with the explanation vague though or lots of technical terminologies (and hey, I'm a Computer Engineer graduate, so I know my technical terms.) that I am actually not familiar with it. It jumbled in my brain.

And then there's Zhuang. He was mentioned a lot. But he never appeared until the last moment. And I don't know. I didn't imagine the fight scene a lot. I'm a very imaginative person so not having it visualize is... you know. I think it can be improved a whole lot more. But it was fun, nevertheless.

I like how she stand up in the end. She owned it like she should have from the beginning. So it's good that the character developed really well. :) Still kudos to Sarah. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up