Book Review: Almost to Die For by Tate Hallaway

Title: Almost to Die For (Vampire Princess of St. Paul #1)
Author: Tate Hallaway
Genre: Paranormal, Young Adult, Fantasy, Witches, Supernaturals, Vampires, Teen,  
Released Date: August 3rd, 2010 by NAL Trade
Rating:
Book Blurb from Goodreads:
Twilight meets The Princess Diaries in the new series from the author of Honeymoon of the Dead 


On her sixteenth birthday, Anastasija Parker learns that her so-called deadbeat dad is actually a vampire king. And he wants Ana to assume her rightful position at his side, in spite of the fact that she has witch's blood running through her veins-from her mother's side.



Too bad witches and vampires are mortal enemies. And now Ana's parents are at each other's throats over her future. It's up to Ana to make a choice, but deciding your eternal destiny is a pretty big deal for a girl who just wants to get through high school.
Almost to Die For by Tate Hallaway was in my to-read list for a long time. I started reading it for awhile like 4 pages then stops. Why? Nothing. I mean, it's not because of the book. Just something personal. Anyway, so I started reading it again and boy, I can't keep my hands off it. At the first chapter of this book, I understood that Anastasija Parker or simply Ana, is a witch. She said so, but there's some kind of complication to it, she can't do magic. The series was named "Vampire Princess of St. Paul", so I immediately said that "ah, she's a half-witch and half-vampire". But still, I want some confirmation even though Goodreads said that her dad is a Vampire King. 


I became excited when I read "Merry meet, merry part and merry meet again" those phrase or sentence or whatever has been used also in House Of Night Series by P.C. and Kristin Cast. And oh, Ana is also called a "Dhampyr", sounds familiar, right? Yes, that's the term for our beloved Rose Hathaway of Vampire Academy. I said to myself, "wow, its like my favorites rolled into one series." 

The story revolves around whether Ana would choose to be a full fledged vampire or a True Witch. She talked to her dad, the vampire king and Elias, the Praetorian Guard so she somewhat have some insight or knowledge about vampire (she actually didn't believe a vampire exist until her dad came knocking on their doorstep). But she also hang out with Nikolai Kirov, a member of her coven (this coven is not a vampire coven, its a group of witches). Nik is a vampire hunter. Or trained to be one by his dad. And well, Nik said that vampires are all bad and evil (as usual).
"I still can't believe I basically licked his face. What was I thinking?"
"You weren't. The blood is irresistible, especially blood of an enemy won in a fight." 
But what Ana wants is normal life. Or as much normal as she could get if she'll be a True Witch. But learning her true heritage and dark, mysterious secrets makes her world confused. 

I liked this book. Though at some extent it's kind of slow paced. But hey, I honestly liked this one and would be reading the next book soon. And oh, yes! Of course there's a love triangle going on. I liked the way Ana described the two guys in her head, how she differentiated the two and how her reaction to these two gorgeous guys. So I'll be reading the whole series soon! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up