Book Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa (Blood Eden #1)

Title: The Immortal Rules (Blood Eden #1)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Dystopian, Vampires, Post Apocalyptic, Supernatural
Release Date: April 24th, 2012 by Harlequin Teen
Rating:(4.5)
Book Blurb from Goodreads:

In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity. 

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn’t easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa is definitely a must read novel! It's young adult paranormal AND dystopian rolled into one! I love YA Paranormal and Dystopian but I didn't thought it could be together until The Immortal Rules.

This book is narrated by Allison, a Fringer but later on became a vampire. You will have an insight about vampires, how they think about humans as food, how they are a predator. The difference is that most vampire forgets their humanity, but Allison is trying really hard to cling to her humanity.


The book is divided into four parts. Part I: Human. Part II: Vampire. Part III: Monster. Part IV: Wanderer. It's kind of long but for me it's bearable because I loved it. :D

I love Allison Sekemoto's character. She's fierce unlike some characters who's more like damsel in distress. She doesn't give up on living. She hated vampires but there's this self-preservation that's keeping her from dying. She wants to live more than anything else even though she'll be what she despises most. I also like how she fight her inner demon so that she'll not feed off the humans she traveled with. Especially Zeke. 

Kanin, Allie's sire, is someone I learned to like. He reminds me of Puck of the Iron Fey series of Kagawa. Though, I know there's nothing similar between him and Puck. I don't know why he reminds me of Puck. :3 
"No." he said gently, easing me back. "Don't look. It's better that you do not see. Just know that, whatever you choose, you will die today. The manner of your death, however, is up to you."
"Sometime in your life, Allison Sekemoto, you will kill a human being. Accidentally or as a conscious, deliberate act. It is unavoidable. The question is not if it will happen, but when. Do you understand?"


I love how it's different with Twilight. The setting, as we all know, is Dystopian where in after a plague they were now ruled by Vampires. And the head vampire in a city was called 'Master' like in Blood Coven by Mari Mancusi. But the similarities stops there.

Overall, did I just said I loved it? Well, I really loved it! I just wished that there's more Allison-Zeke scenes. :3 And I just also hoped that one day, it will not lead to Zeke choosing whether to stay human or converting to be vampire (though Yes, I know, Zeke will definitely NOT AGREE to be Turned.) I'm excited as well for the next book. :)

2 comments:

test said...

I've been a fan of Julie Kagawa since I've read The Iron Fey Series. I really can't wait to read this book! Great review :)

~Jay
We Fancy Books

Lexie said...

Me too! I really love The Iron Fey Series. So I'm really happy that Julie Kagawa decided to do a vamp story PLUS dystopia. :) Thanks!

Btw, I'm a new follower on your blog. :)

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up