ARC Review: The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau

Title: The Testing (The Testing #1)
Author: Joelle Charbonneau
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia, Post Apocalyptic, Science Fiction
Release Date: June 4th, 2013
Rating: 
Review Copy: NETGALLEY
Book Blurb from Goodreads:
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Isn’t that what they say? But how close is too close when they may be one in the same? 

The Seven Stages War left much of the planet a charred wasteland. The future belongs to the next generation’s chosen few who must rebuild it. But to enter this elite group, candidates must first pass The Testing—their one chance at a college education and a rewarding career. 

Cia Vale is honored to be chosen as a Testing candidate; eager to prove her worthiness as a University student and future leader of the United Commonwealth. But on the eve of her departure, her father’s advice hints at a darker side to her upcoming studies--trust no one.

But surely she can trust Tomas, her handsome childhood friend who offers an alliance? Tomas, who seems to care more about her with the passing of every grueling (and deadly) day of the Testing. To survive, Cia must choose: love without truth or life without trust.
REVIEW:
This book is like a mixture of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and The Maze Runner by James Dashner. The Hunger Games because there is TESTING in this book, see the title? LOL. Well, THG basically got testing too. But unlike THG, I get why they have Hunger Games. In The Testing, I don't understand why they have the testing. Is it because the resources are scarce? I mean if they are trying to rebuild their country, Colony in fact, aren't they going to want all the people they could get so they could help the colony regrow to what it's state before the War?

So sure, they also do the Testing to select the future leader for the United Commonwealth but still, it's just a bit weird (?) that they do it like that. If someone could explain it to me well, please do comment. >.< Or maybe I'll have an epiphany later when I'm done with this review and about to sleep. :)

In any case, the world building is great. I quite like it. I find the other parts, gross like it should be, I felt connected whenever Cia do something for herself or Tomas when they are on the fourth part of the test. The way it was written is good too. It compels me to read it (I know! It took me a long time to read it because I am easily distracted by some things. >_< but you do get my point, don't you?) and wanted to finish it fast but yeah, end up reading it for 4 days or so, because I got work.

Oh yeah, I did mention that it also resemble The Maze Runner, well just because of the reason WHY they have that. Why there's testing, why the people in TMR were also evaluated and they use reasoning, I mean there's an ulterior motive for the better good of the country, or so the antagonists tells us. That it would help us in the long run that's why we do the tests.

Overall, I quite like it, although the ending leaves me a bit hanging and I already wanted to know what would happen after discovering the Transit Communicator's record. >.< Please let me read the second book! And thank you to Netgalley for letting me read the book.

PRE-ORDER it at:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up