Mini Reviews: Cursed, Necessary Evil of Nathan Miller, Working It and All That Glows

Mini reviews!!! It's about time I make a post of my reviews. >.< I have them up in my Goodreads page, but not yet here in blog and Amazon. Will do as soon as I can. :)

TITLE: Cursed
SERIES: Voodoo Nights, #1
AUTHOR: Lizzy Ford
GENRE: Young Adult, Paranormal Romance, Fantasy
RELEASE DATE: 9th February 2014
RATING: 
REVIEW COPY: NetGalley
BOOK BLURB:
The Red Man is coming ...
Five years after her sister disappeared, seventeen-year-old Adrienne finds the strength to return to her father’s home in New Orleans. But soon after she arrives, the mark of a curse appears on her, leaving her worried. Will she be the next victim of a four-hundred-year old family curse ... the next to be claimed by a serial killer roaming the back alleys of the city?
The day before his senior year begins, Jayden is given a skeleton key passed down through his family for generations -- a gruesome reminder of how his ancestors betrayed their own people and sold them into slavery. He doesn’t believe in the curse the key allegedly bears and puts it away with the intention of forgetting about its message. Until he meets Adrienne, a girl he’s compelled to for more reasons than her beauty. 
He’s not the only one who notices her. A man in a skeleton mask and a voodoo gang member are also drawn to Adrienne. One is determined to protect her. The other intends to mislead her. Haunted by the mythical Red Man, all are connected to the ancient curse.
Can they overcome their misgivings about one another and prevent the dark prophecy looming over them? Or will they be lured away from each other by evil’s siren song?
REVIEW
*Received an ARC in exchange of an honest review*

Pretty good. Though Addy is a bit frustrating. Why can't she put it all together? She just mentioned about Jay's dog tags but didn't piece it together that maybe it's because of that? *le sigh*

I was a bit skeptical about reading this one.. But after I read it, I liked it. The voodoo thingies in here are good. IT was well thought. The story even it's a bit confusing at first, is really good, in my opinion. The only thing I don't like is that heroine is a damsel-in-distress. LOL. But oh well, I liked it and I am so looking forward to the next one. Because it is just not right to end it like that. :P 

Thumbs up for this one! :) 

-----

TITLE: Necessary Evil of Nathan Miller
SERIES: Nightmares, #2
AUTHOR: Demelza Carlton
GENRE: Contemporary, New Adult, Suspense
RELEASE DATE: 30th August 2013
RATING: 
PURCHASE AT: Amazon
BOOK BLURB: 
The sequel to Amazon Top 100 Horror Suspense Bestseller, Nightmares of Caitlin Lockyer. 
Evil should never be necessary. Except when it is. 
"And now in breaking news, Caitlin Lockyer has been found. In the early hours of this morning, a man discovered her body dumped on a south-west beach. A police spokesperson would not confirm whether the girl known as the Absent Angel is alive or dead..." 
They called her an angel. No one thought to ask what kind. 
Burning for retribution, now she'll stop at nothing. 
Can it truly be evil when it feels so good? 
A tiny taste of what's in store:
Don't get into cars with strangers.
So stupid to think I was strong enough to resist.
But I never dreamed it would happen to me.
I tried to back away, but the b**** behind me didn't let me. She hit my diaphragm with the heel of her hand, forcing my breath out in a huff. Unable to breathe, the street stood still in my mind as I stared around, desperately hoping for someone to see - someone who'd help me. Did eyes meet mine? Did I imagine understanding? If it was, it came too late. The burning flare that was my need to breathe exploded and she shoved me into the car. I fell on flesh encased in fabric as I gasped for breath, a flailing fish in the pervert's lap as I lay across the back seat. I dimly heard the doors and windows shut. The motor hummed as the car accelerated away - before I had enough air to scream.
Nightmares Trilogy 
This is the second book in Demelza Carlton's Nightmares Trilogy, as dark, disturbing and downright scary as the first, Nightmares of Caitlin Lockyer.
REVIEW

This sequel certainly explains a lot of things I didn't understand with the first one because it was told in Caitlin's POV. And it was good Carlton decided to have Caitlin's point of view for better understanding and to fill in some blanks left by Nightmares of Caitlin Lockyer. 

-----

TITLE: Working It
SERIES: Love by Design, #1
AUTHOR: Kendall Ryan
GENRE: Contemporary, New Adult
RELEASE DATE: 11th November 2013
PUBLISHER: Atria Books
RATING: 
REVIEW COPY: NetGalley
PURCHASE AT: Amazon | B&N
BOOK BLURB:
Emmy Clarke is out of her depth in New York City’s fashion world, but when she lands a job as an assistant at a modeling agency it seems like the perfect mix of business and pleasure. Working under the notorious Fiona Stone is a nightmare, but there’s one distinct perk: ogling the ridiculously hot male models who parade through the office—particularly rising star Ben Shaw.
Ben is everything Emmy’s not: exquisitely gorgeous, highly paid, and well-traveled. He’s also got more issues than Vogue. Emmy looks after Ben on photo shoots, but she refuses to become another one of his lusting groupies. Ben finds Emmy’s refreshingly real attitude to be surprisingly attractive.
Against a backdrop of the most fashionable cities in the world, casual flirting turns into an illicit affair, but when Ben’s twisted past is revealed, and the bitter Fiona catches wind of their relationship, their careers and hearts are threatened.

Note: This book is intended for mature audiences. It contains sexual encounters and graphic language, including a m/f/m encounter.
REVIEW

*Received an ARC in exchange of an honest review*

The writing is good, quite good in fact. BUT I don't like how the author uses the word "Baby" so much. It irked me a lot of times. Like many times and every time he says it. *wince* I do love the smut though. So so so good. That threesome is awesome. *grins*

Hmmmm... They're actually not that older to me. We're like same aged. I'm 23 and the characters there are like 23 and 22? Not sure but I think that's the age of the guy. BUT when if you've read the book, you'll get an impression that the guy or the girl is a LOT older. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. 

And I hate that Ben is so nice to Fiona. I don't like it. >.< Anyway, can't remember a lot of things happened here. Just that I want Fiona b*tch slapped. Repeatedly. LOL. And yes, I'm looking forward to the next book!

-----

TITLE: All That Glows
AUTHOR: Ryan Graudin
GENRE: Young Adult, Paranormal, Faeries
RELEASE DATE: 11th February 2014
PUBLISHER: +HarperTeen 
RATING: 
REVIEW COPY: NetGalley
PURCHASE AT: Amazon | B&N
BOOK BLURB:
Emrys—a fiery, red-headed Fae—always embraced her life in the Highlands, far from the city’s draining technology, until she’s sent to London to rejoin the Faery Guard. But this isn’t any normal assignment—she’s sent to guard Prince Richard: Britain’s notorious, partying bad boy and soon-to-be King. The prince’s careless ways and royal blood make him the irresistible for the dark spirits that feed on mortals. Sweet, disheveled, and alive with adventure—Richard is one charge who will put Emrys’s magic and heart to the test.
When an ancient force begins preying on the monarchy, Emrys must hunt through the London’s magical underworld, facing down Banshees, Black Dogs and Green Women to find the one who threatens Richard’s life. In this chaos of dark magic, palace murders and paparazzi, Emrys finds herself facing an impossible choice. For despite all her powers, Emrys has discovered a force that burns brighter than magic: love.
REVIEW

*Received an ARC in exchange of an honest review*

Hmmm... I didn't get frustrated with this book, actually. After thinking things through, I bumped this one down. It was an okay story. A bit annoying but I held on and continued reading. The way it was written was so-so. I mean, all those lame metaphors. I think I just breezed past it. Didn't actually stick with me, not memorable. But I think a few readers will argue with me. Saying it's actually memorable because it's so lame. lol. 

But I actually like the plot. I mean if it's written more fascinating in a sense that readers wouldn't lash out about it, then yeah. I would love it. I like the idea behind it. BUT in all honesty, I think it was still lacking something. I want the characters to grow, know more about them. I don't need the freakin' metaphors all the time. Action scenes are good but I feel like it's just there for the sake of having it. I want more define on it.


It just have an excessive use of metaphors. *le sigh*

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up