ARC Review: The Haven by Carol Lynch Williams

TITLE: The Haven
AUTHOR: Carol Lynch Williams
GENRE: Young Adult, Dystopia, Science Fiction
RELEASE DATE: 4th March 2014
RATING: 
BUY LINK: Amazon | B&N | TBD
REVIEW COPY: NetGalley
BOOK BLURB:
For the teens at The Haven, the outside world, just beyond the towering stone wall that surrounds the premises, is a dangerous unknown. It has always been this way, ever since the hospital was established in the year 2020. But The Haven is more than just a hospital; it is their home. It is all they know. Everything is strictly monitored: education, exercise, food, and rest. The rules must be followed to keep the children healthy, to help control the Disease that has cast them as Terminals, the Disease that claims limbs and lungs—and memories. 
But Shiloh is different; she remembers everything. Gideon is different, too. He dreams of a cure, of rebellion against the status quo. What if everything they’ve been told is a lie? What if The Haven is not the safe place it claims to be? And what will happen if Shiloh starts asking dangerous questions?
Thank you for the ARC in exchange of an honest review.


I have been reading a lot of Dystopian novels since Hunger Games started. I must tell honestly that this is a concept I haven't read, sort of. That said, I'm a bit aghast with it. Based on my read books and reviews... Like Defy by Sara Larson, for one... I've been against with the whole 'breeding house' in that book. For The Haven... I'm sorry to say that it didn't really do well for me.

From the start of the novel, I was having lots of questions. Where did they came from? Are they born in the hospital? Where are their parents? What are Terminals, exactly? I can't help but think they got like 'Terminal' cancers. Why are they like robots? Why do some where called and never returned? But some did return to them but only to have a missing body parts?

Those are the questions I have. As the story progressed, it was revealed the reason of The Haven hospital. I must say that I didn't think of that reason. And here lies why I'm against the concept of the story. I know I'm being a hypocrite but this was how I felt when I learned the reasons. I can't help but feel like the 'terminals' in The Haven are like animals who are waiting to be butchered for parts. Or like a mechanical shop where you buy things needed to built a car. You asked for parts, they gave it to you. It's like that.

And also the whole "Terminals don't have souls." I disagree with the character who said that, Dr. King. I could go on a debate about that but well, it's not something I should discuss further.

The writing was OKAY.  It was written simple enough for readers to understand. The characters too. All in all, it was an okay read. It didn't excite me that much but maybe for others, it will be exciting for them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up