Book Review: Scarlet Woods by Brooke Passmore (Scarlet Woods #1)

Genre: Contemporary, Time Travel
Release Date: December 2012
Rating:  
Book Blurb from Goodreads:

Past, future, and love all exist in the door through time.
Modern and independent seventeen year old Morgan Westbrook thought she had seen all there was to her home town of Scarlet, Georgia, but one day while walking in the woods behind her house she discovers a mysterious door masked behind the trees. After admiring the door’s timeless beauty she walks through its entrance to venture into more woods, but what she doesn’t know is that the door is a gateway through time that takes her back to the year 1863 during the days of the Civil War in Scarlet.
Without knowing that she had traveled back in time, she stumbles upon Danny Carson, an attractive young man who is appalled to see that Morgan is wearing skimpy modern clothes instead of a nineteenth century dress. Although they find each other completely different than anyone they’ve ever known, they cannot help but feel drawn to one another. After spending time in another century, she discovers that she's time traveled back to the year 1863 and that the door took her there. For months she and Danny journey back and forth through the door to experience the joys of traveling to both of their centuries. When dilemmas of unwanted marriage, slavery, and war are thrown at them, they must face the perils that time travel has delivered them in both the future and the past.
I'd like to thank the author, Brooke Passmore for giving me a chance to read this book and review it for all of you. Thank you very much!

I honestly don't know what rate will I give this novel... Until now, I don't know. It didn't WOW-ed me. I feel it is just good but not that amazing. The novel is incredibly long. Although it's not boring but seriously, there's a lot of things going on in the book. I guess the scenes are necessary and well thought... it's just that yeah... too long for my taste. But if you'll ask me if I would want something to be removed in the scene... There's none I would want to take off in the novel.

While reading this book, I kept on remembering this old film--well, not really old, like 2006 old only--that was released in the Philippines called Moments of Love. It was of the same plot but well, in the book, the time was 1863 while in the movie, it's 1950s. The difference was that in this novel, Danny Carson was from 1863 while Morgan was from the year 2013. In the movie, it was the other way around. The male lead was from the future while the female was from the past. They don't have the special door going on in the film... and the only way they communicate was thru a telephone call. They don't really meet each other personally.

Scarlet Woods was a novel I don't usually read and first time reading a time-traveling characters. It's pretty weird how they worked it out. I kept on thinking that one day the power or magic of that special door would lose. And that one day they'll have to choose which side they'll live in. 

The characters were a bit annoying since they were, uh, stupid? or something. Actually, it's just Morgan for me that made me feel like I want to snap her little neck cause of being annoying. It's because how could she not understand that Danny was doing what he thought was the right thing. It's just that Danny is from 1863! Can't she understand that it's different from hers and Danny's time? Okay, so maybe she did, but still, ugh. Dammit. It annoyed the heck out of me. Then there's this part where she made Danny choose again! For Heaven's sake. 

And I hate that Roy Walker for doing that awful thing to Sam. I can't even keep on reading it when I got to that part. I feel Sam pain. I feel like I'm the one receiving the pain. I got teary eyed when I read Sam about to lose hope. :( 

Scarlet Woods pretty much give me a lot of emotion. One moment I was smirking, the next I want to punch Roy (for being an ass) or Morgan (for being stupid) and then made me cry too. I wonder what would happen next in the second book. Hmm... Anyway, pretty good. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up