Book Review: Almost by Anne Eliot

Title: Almost
Author: Anne Eliot
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary Romance, Chick Lit, Realistic Fiction
Release Date: February 3rd, 2012 (Kindle Edition from Amazon)
Rating:
Book Blurb from Goodreads:

At a freshman party she doesn't remember, Jess Jordan was almost raped.
...Almost. Very nearly. Not quite. Three years later, Jess has managed to make everyone believe she's better. Over it. Because she is.
...Almost. Very nearly. Not quite.
Unfortunately, until Jess proves she's back to normal activities, her parents won't discuss college. So, she lands a summer internship and strikes a deal with hockey jock, Gray Porter: He gets $8,000. She gets a fake boyfriend and a social life. 
Jess has no idea Gray signed on for reasons other than money. She also never expects to fall in love. But Gray’s amazingly hot, holds her hand all the time, and makes her forget that he’s simply doing his job. It’s like having a real boyfriend.
...Almost. Very nearly. Not quite.
Gray Porter is hiding secrets of his own. About Jess Jordan. About why he’s driven to protect her, why he won't cash her checks, or deny her anything she asks.
I started reading this book, I think it was June 20, 2012 and I finished it today. Two weeks of me reading it. Why did it took me two weeks? One, I was bored in the first few chapters of this book. I'm not gonna pretend or lie about it. I was bored BUT there's something in my mind that says I need to finish it. A friend of mine actually said to me that if I didn't like it, no need to punish myself over it. But still I decided to continue even if it's taking my precious time.
Second reason why it took me two weeks was that I keep on putting it off. I've read other books that was why I only finish it now. Heck, I've been putting TGL off too!

But as I slow read this book, about 32% done with it, I started to grin like an idiot. That could only mean one thing. I'm starting to like it. Yes, it's taken me too long to before I finally like the book but IMO, it's worth it. It's worth reading.

Now, I need to review this or I'll just start random babbling. Smiley Soooo, this book, as the blurb says, was about a girl who's ALMOST raped. Almost okay, almost living better. Almost. The book was written in two POV's, Jess Jordan's and Gray Porter's. What I like about it having two POV's was that I get to see what Gray Porter's mind works. I mean, I was always in the head of a female MC (from the books I've read) and having a male MC in your mind--take note, if and only if the said Male MC is hot, cocky, playful, likes you a lot and all that--was totally cool.


Jess Jordan struck me as a strong character. She knows what she wants. She wanted to live normally like she used to. She wanted to go to college and go away from home so her parents would not always hover at her. That's the reason why she made a deal with Gray Porter. So yeah, she struck me as a strong-willed character, she doesn't want to back down. And damn, she always slugs down Red Bull because it helps her not sleep so that she'll never have nightmares.

Gray Porter... Gray. Just like the other guy MC I have read over the weeks, I'm liking him too. Well, the reason why Gray sticks to Jess was because he's involved to what almost happened to Jess. Okay, I'm totally not saying anything. Just read it. Being in Gray's mind made me smirk, grin whatever you want to call it, like a freakin' idiot. I was reading it earlier with people in my surrounding and I CAN'T HELP NOT TO GRIN!!! It's like, OMG, you are such a big flirt!! I like guys who flirts with their partners, like them teasing their girls.Smiley 


The story mostly circulates on their pretend relationship and how Gray wanted to tell the truth about him, about them. How Jess battles her nightmares, how she wished to be a normal teenager, fall in love and all that. I love how the side characters, Corey and Michelle, get to know Jess. 'Cause they all at first believe Jess' reputation as a b*tch but learned that she's not like that at all.

The book is worth reading. You might be bored at first but this is an honest story about the journey of Jess Jordan on how she made it whole once again and sees that she really was loved by a lot. You should try reading this book, you might like it or you might not. But at least you've tried. And if you're getting lazy in reading it or bored by it, take a break, read other book then pick up Almost again to continue where you left off.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up