Book Review: Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder #2)

Title: Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder #2)
Author: Kimberly Derting
Genre: Young Adult, Mystery, Thriller, Paranormal, Romance
Release Date: February 15th, 2011
Rating:(3.5)
Book Blurb from Goodreads:
The missing dead call to Violet. They want to be found.
Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.
As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.

I really love this series. I love the first book. So I'm expecting that it'll be the same in the second book. But... sigh. There's some scenes that makes me wanna throw it or pull my hair out.

It started okay. Good actually. But somehow boring. Unlike the first book where they got serial killings, in the second book, it was kinda dulled? When I read the first book, I refrained from reading it at night because I was scared of the killer. But here, I stayed up late to finish it. It's not that creepy anymore.

The story now revolves about new kids (Mike and Megan), Rafe and Sara. The last two were from the FBI. So Violet discovered a young boy's body, she got to the pay phone and call 911 to report it since she couldn't just used her phone because they could trace it back to her and she didn't want that to happen. BUT she totally forgot that there could be someone/something/anything that might see her taking the call or her car's plate number. And then there's the cat issue. A dead cat found next to Violet's car in the middle of the night. I had my theories. I thought that she's the one who did that. Killed the cat and placed it there so Violet could see it.

I know that my theory was wrong though cause Mystery author's job is to make the reader speculate about the suspect and then bam! They are not even a suspect. Then Violet and I thought the same. She thought that the suspect is X (not saying any name to be fair. :P). Then she confided to Jay about it THROUGH PHONE CALL. And when Jay didn't/can't believe her, she did the most annoying thing, for me.

Really, how could you do it with phone? It's not supposed to work that way. And it really made me frustrated about it. She didn't want to hear any arguments about it without really thinking clearly. Ugh. Then there's Rafe. I'm not really fond of love triangles, thanks to Elena-Damon-Stefan love/hate story. LOL. I just knew that someday, there'll be something with Rafe and Violet. Why else an author introduce a new guy that kind of sticks to the female MC? You don't say they just want to be friends. But to Violet's credit, she's loyal to Jay.

I can totally say that after Violet wrong assumptions, I now know who the real killer is. I somehow guessed it'll be that person. And I think I now know, too, what can Rafe do based on the almost last part of the book.

Overall, it bored me at times but kept reading because I want to know the truth. It's not that exciting for me though. :( But I'm gonna continue reading the series. Will start the third book this week, hopefully.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up